Friday, February 28, 2020

A colonel and a Savonian cannon for Finnish war 1808-1809

There are some models I needed for my Russo-Swedish War 1808 project that haven't been made yet by the Perrys. There is no artillery for the Swedes and they don't have a mounted officer available, so I checked their catalogue and found a couple of sets that were ripe for converting.


This Swedish mounted colonel was made from a Perry French colonel. The uniform was almost a perfect match to the Swedish m/1801 uniform many of the higher-up officers used during the war. I just needed to remove all the doo-dads the original model had across his chest, work on the bicorne a bit and give him that white armband. The figure was an absolute joy to paint and I love that heroic pose. I haven't decided who exactly this model represents but Sandels isn't far off?


The Savolax Brigade I'm working on had their own artillery company. The guns were mostly 3-pounders and the men wore the same uniforms as the Savonian jägers did. The Perry Danish 3pdr was a pretty good match. I had to do a bit of filing and sculpting on the shakos to match the Savonian one, but it was just four models so it was quick to do.

Here's a couple of uniform reference pics:


4 comments:

  1. Looking Sharpe! I'll get my coat...

    Once I get through my Peninsular War stuff* I hope to do this campaign as well. Hope you don't mind me using your blog for reference? The conversions will require less skill than yours though since I intend to go for 6mm, and as such they will be done by paintbrush.

    (*Now that that ball is finally rolling again).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! I've got 6mm stuff for this war also, just browse the tags :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Come to think of it, your 6mm posts were probably the thing that brought me here in the first place a few years ago. :)

      Delete